wearing-work-clothes-on-laundry-dayBack in the day when people had busy lives and jobs they would find themselves completely out of suitable clothes to wear and then be forced to spend all day doing laundry. During that time, if anyone came to the door, whether it was the mailman or an unexpected friend, the laundry-doer would feel compelled to yell, “It’s laundry day!” It was the only way to explain how they came to be dressed in a mismatching disaster of spandex shorts, ill-fitting t-shirts, granny panties and no bra because there was absolutely nothing else to wear.

Unfortunately unemployment has a tendency to bring out the fashion beast in all of us, making the unemployed perfect candidates for “What Not to Wear”. After gathering enough pieces to to assemble a core unemployment suit and realizing there’s very little reason to get dressed let alone dressed up every day, the unemployed eventually phase out their socially appropriate attire in exchange for unspeakable atrocities like a green Google shirt mixed with orange and purple gym shorts from high school.

With most days spent at home, somewhere between looking for work, freaking out about having no money and wallowing in front of the TV in a fit of despair, the unemployed tend to go through their raggedy clothing surprisingly quick. The free shirts, because of their large sizes, usually are the first to go. Then, the shirts with holes followed by the shirts that should have been shredded into rags long ago. Match those tops with a pair of cut-off sweat shorts or your best pair of  ”for painting” jeans and you’re good to go if by go you mean lie on the couch.

The outfits that the unemployed once wouldn’t be caught dead in have suddenly become an everyday thing. Admit it – look down at what you’re wearing and ask yourself, “Would I have worn this outside a year ago?” If you say yes, you’re probably lying. At first, you dare to leave your house in your “laundry day” clothes to make a dash towards the mailbox, which becomes a quick trip to the post office, until it escalates into fully immersing yourself in public in such outfits.

Then, it suddenly becomes laundry day and not even because there’s no more clothes left. There are just no more comfortable items to wear. In the closet hangs a bunch of perfectly suitable things to wear, but the unemployed just forlornly look in their dirty laundry pile at that super ugly but super comfortable shirt and wish it was clean. They might have even previously dug that shirt out of the hamper to give it one last wear before washing it. In a sort of reverse desperation, the unemployed have no choice but to reach for their ::shudder:: work clothes and head out to the laundromat to wash a bunch of rags all dressed in business casual. When 90% of your laundry is your former gym clothes, you know it’s time to get a job.

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “#151 Wearing Work Clothes on Laundry Day”

1. cwm says:

I wear an unemployed suit made out of tears and second hand underwear. It’s called “my Sunday best!”

2. OMG, do you have a hidden camera in my house??? I cannot stop laughing at this one because it’s so true. I’ve recently been forced to trash some t-shirts that became so ridden w/ holes that they were actually mostly holes held together by a few strips of cloth. Very comfy, but the “What Not to Wear” folks would need CPR to recover from the sight of me. LOL!

3. Karen Windsor says:

I know that I don’t look fashionable in the clothes that I wear while not working, however, I don’t want to wear out my “office” clothes basically because I don’t have money to buy anything right now. I keep my “office” clothes neatly pressed in the closet just in case I happen to get a job interview and eventually get a job. Sorry if it bothers anyone when they see me in my t-shirts, shorts or jogging pants. I wish that “What Not To Wear” would show up on my door step to shower me with a $5,000 gift certificate to get my hair, nails, makeup, clothes, etc. done. That would truly make my day!!! Haven’t been pampered in a long, long time.

4. Get Laid Tonight says:

I don’t even own a suit, and I can’t understand anybody who wears one just for the sake of it.

5. Sunshine says:

This is one of my new favorite blogs. <3 it.

6. Roxanne says:

This has made me crack up, feel slightly ashamed, depressed
    and yet happy knowing it’s not just me, all at once! Thank you for
    bringing this blog into my life, and making humour out of what is
    actually an extremely depressing situation. I’m lying on the couch
    in my comfy pjs/top as I speak, it’s just so true!

7. Peg says:

HAHAHA!!!! I am, literally, crying right now. This is
    hilarious, and you should see what I’m wearing ….a Tinkerbell tee
    shirt I thought I had given to Goodwill, mismatched socks and sweat
    pants with baggy knees.And I use to work in the fashion
    industry!LOL

8. Totsymae says:

I used to wear pajamas most of the day and since I’m an
    artist, I would mess up a good amount of clothes and wear them to
    Home Depot sometimes. I fit right in, actually.

9. My Perspective says:

I don’t actually own any “work clothes”, unless you count my pencil skirts and a few nice tops.

On the days that I do leave my apartment, I try to be presentable. I shower. I comb my hair. I put on mascara and a bit of lip gloss. I put on some nice body creme to make my skin smooth. I throw on blue jeans and a simple shirt with some comfy shoes. I wear my cute silver earrings and my inexpensive shades.

It gives me a slight boost of confidence, so at least I don’t *look* unemployed. It doesn’t cost money either.

As I type this, I’m still in my PJs. Thankfully, I have a washer and dryer in my apartment building, so there is no need for a trip to the laundromat. I feel bad for people who have to make that journey.

I find that since I’m unemployed, it is best to stay on top of the laundry and make sure I always have clean clothes. One tip I have is to try to avoid letting it pile up. There’s nothing worse than sifting through dirty clothes to find something to wear. Make sure you always have a certain number of clean clothes on hand…underwear, socks, shirts without stains or holes, etc.

Another tip for the ladies…if you have some extra cash, stock up on some inexpensive items of clothing at Walmart. I bought some really cute and comfy stuff for only $10 the other day. It can help you feel better to wear something nice even if you stay home all day.

10. I like to look smart. I wear dresses. Everyone round here dresses casually so dress wearing bucks the trend.
    I also buy full trouser and or skirt suits so as to look nice. Really I must be feeling my unemployment.
    At least if I do any Volunteer work then I am kitted out.
    Getting dressed with dresses means da, da, da,da. da, da, or bra, knickers, tights, shoes, dress et voila!! the smart way to look smart and dressed at same time!!!

11. EVIL PURCHASING AGENT says:

Well I have been unemployed for about 2-1/2 months and I too shop in thrift stores. I love them my step daughter just moved into her own apartment and she will ba taking a world wind shopping trip to the local value village and Good Will. I love these stores I find designer table cloths for 2 or 3 dollars and not 40, also designer purses for 10 or 15 dollars can’t beat that with a stick. I truly miss shopping but for the time being thrift stores will do.

12. Unemployed RN says:

I absolutely LOVED this post! It is so absolutely true that once you are unemployed for a time (as for me, it is now 10 months)you don’t bother to get out of your PJ’s unless you have to go somewhere! Being a woman, I shudder at the thought of actually wearing heals and a bra for 8 hours! If I were to land a job, it would be so uncomfortable to be “dressed.” I have a closet full of ‘buisness casual’ clothes, shoes, scarfs, hose etc., but the thought of the bra and heels makes me squirm.

13. [...] Playing Peekaboo is a good distraction #151 Wearing Work Clothes on Laundry Day [...]

14. Deaun says:

Sitting here shifting uncomfortably; barefoot in jeans and a t-shirt full of holes. *chagrin* You caught me….

15. Haven't washed my hair in a week says:

Thank you for this post! I am sitting here braless, wearing a raggedy band t-shirt and yellow cotton shorts. I haven’t worn my “work clothes” for months. I don’t want them to get dirty and have to scrape up enough money to pay for dry cleaning. So instead, I spend my time in my basement apartment organizing and watching endless hours of “the Hills,” a show my professional-self despised.