trader-joesTrader Joe’s is one of those rare companies that pretty much everybody likes. Rich people, poor people, and people of all ethnicities (especially white people) love Trader Joe’s. But, it’s pretty safe to say that out of all the groups of people out there, Trader Joe’s is a savior to the unemployed.

See, the unemployed love cheap things and generic brands, and Trader Joe’s has basically built an empire of affordable products packaged in wholesome goodness and quirky Hawaiian shirts. People rave about Trader Joe’s being one of the best grocery stores out there because their products are cheaper and healthier than several name brands. While label-obsessed shoppers are buying the trans-fat-free chocolate cookies with a cream center, they are forgetting that they’re buying generic, because they don’t attribute Trader Joe’s as being a generic brand, it’s just a healthy brand. To the unemployed who embrace generic products, everything in Trader Joe’s is great simply because it’s cheaper, and if it tastes weird, it’s because it’s “healthy.”

The best part about being an avid unemployed Trader Joe’s customer is being able to go to there at odd hours of the day when no one else is shopping, and being able to get the best of the best. When employed, it was almost always a nightmare to shop at Trader Joe’s because a) they’re always situated within the worst parking lots and b) navigating the aisles at rush hour was not only tedious but almost everything on the grocery list was always sold out. But without any time constraints, the unemployed are free to roam the aisles of Trader Joe’s during the day, discovering new delightfully weird products to test out, and carefully choosing from their ample selection of $5-and-under wines. They’re free to peruse the bagged produce that makes them die a little inside because they are paying more for convenience (while ruining the environment) and have plenty of time to wash and cut their own vegetables, but don’t. But then they just go get a free sample of some delicious pre-packaged food, and their hearts belong to Trader Joe’s once again because at least Trader Joe’s is cheaper than eating out.

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “#129 Trader Joe’s”

1. sekanblogger says:

I guess white people don’t like to comment on being unemployed?

2. My only problem with Trader Joe’s, apart from always having to spend 2 weeks in line to chekout, is that when you want to buy say potatoes, you can’t simply buy 1. You have to buy a pack of 4 or a bag of 50. If I want a zuccini I have to buy 8. As an unemployed person I would like to be able to buy 1 potato or xuccinin as and when I need it.

3. scatcatpdx says:

Yep there nothing like drowning one’s unemployment sorrows with a bottle of two buck chuck.

4. Janae says:

Every posting literally makes me laugh out loud. You’re awesome.

5. Zoe says:

Trader Joe’s also accepts food stamps!

6. gina says:

I make too much on my unemployment to qualify for food stamps. But I will stop by a Trader Joe’s next time I am hungry for a free sample or two.

7. Miriam says:

Three Buck Chuck.

8. Greggie says:

Sadly there isn’t a Trader Joe’s near me….

9. Amanda says:

I plan to go shop at Trader Joes for the first time in the morning, i have never been to one. I always thought they would be way over priced. The only two close to me are in locations that would not scream bargain store. One is in Paradise Vally next to a grocery store with valet parking, and another one a few miles from that one is in north Scottsdale right between a Infinity, Audi and BMW dealership lol. I only moved to phx from southeastern US last year and we didn’t have any trader joes in our state. I am not unemployed but i do like bargains on healthy foods so i’ll go check them out.

10. Dusty says:

A Trader Joe’s just opened in my city as well. The store is located in a very wealthy part of town so I thought that it would be too expensive for me. Also, from past experience, regular grocery stores in my city charge quite a bit for organic and all natural products so I figured Trader Joe’s would be too expensive for that reason as well. It sounds like it has low prices that will beat my grocery stores prices on organic and all natural products. I plan on checking it out soon!